Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Peanut Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin is such a wonderful vegetable! It grows well in this area, it is highly nutritious and keeps well without any special conditions! It is a shame that we don't use this vegetable as much as it deserves to. I personally have decided to give it more attention and try out different ways of eating pumpkin. Here's the first pumpkin soup recipe I've tried.

We tested out this recipe over thanksgiving. It made a big pot of soup and I was not completely satisfied with the taste so I doctored it up a bit and will post my additions at the end of the recipe. I have to say mixing a spoonful of sour cream in your bowl of soup makes it pretty yummy! I heard some praise from those who were already accustomed to pumpkin soup. I think I'll be making it again and play with ingredients more in the future!
Sorry that I don't have a picture to add right now... maybe later.

4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups cooked and pureed pumpkin 
(we roasted a small sliced up pumpkin in the oven at 350' F)
2 cups cooked pureed sweet potato
1 cup SMOOTH peanut butter
6 cups Chicken stock
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
fresh chives and sour cream for garnish

I added a little curry for taste and some heavy whipping cream at the very end (just don't let it boil hard with the cream in the soup - I think half and half will work too). I also added a bit of a spice mix that Eddie and Angela from the Wet Dog Glass gave us - THANK YOU GUYS! - it has a certain sweetness to it - with cloves and cayenne pepper and paprika ( and other things) in it... so be brave and experiment with spices. I wonder what pumpkin spice mix would do?

Directions: 
1. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Stir in the pumpkin, sweet potato and peanut butter.
2. Add the stock, pepper and salt and stir well until smooth. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add cream and spice if you wish and stir well.
3. Before serving, garnish the soup with Chives and sour cream.

Happy Eating!!!


No comments: